Who are we?
We are specialist pain management physiotherapists working closely with a primary care pharmacist and a team of social prescribers.
What do we do?
At the initial appointment, there will be an assessment with a specialist pain management physiotherapist to understand the nature of the pain and other confounders that may impact the pain. Having assessed patients will be provided with a range of strategies and approaches to better manage their pain, this will also increase the confidence, boost well-being, and improve the overall quality of life. A tailormade shared management plan will be designed to consist of:
- Consistent education advice regarding persistent pain mechanisms
- Understanding the psychological components of persistent pain
- Stretching, movement and activity
- Lowering long term reliance on medications- medication reviews by the primary care
- Medication reviews community pharmacist
- Impact of pain on life, how to improve confidence to cope with persistent pain
- Relaxation and sleep strategies
- Emotions and pain, pain anxiety, pain avoidance
- Goal setting and pacing
- Recognizing and measuring improvement
- Promoting independence and function, utilizing self-help resources